PREPARING FOR THE WALK
Journeys are nothing to fear. Women from all walks of life and fitness levels sign up each year to Walk the various Global Walks. This program is designed to ensure you are confident from start to finish. Your support team has calculated thoughtfully the number of hours and distance you will walk. We will be there to assist in every aspect of this journey, leaving you to enjoy the experience.
This journey will be more enjoyable if you’re well prepared. You don’t want to find yourself lagging too far behind or reaching the top of the highest mountain pass without the energy to admire the 360° views with your Sole Sisters. And the best preparation for your mountain trekking challenge? Get fit!
Getting fit will not only increase your enjoyment when you’re on your Walk, but it will also help prevent injury. Regular training treks are a great way to improve your overall health and wellbeing, and it is a great opportunity to improve your lifestyle by adding regular exercise to your daily routine.
We have developed a twelve-week Wellness training program to get you ready in mind, body, and spirit. Completing program prior to a physically demanding trek can have numerous benefits and facilitate positive lifestyle changes.
Here are some reasons why people should consider committing to this training:
- Physical Preparation: Trekking for 7 days at 25 km daily in the mountains is physically demanding. A wellness program can help individuals improve their physical fitness, endurance, strength, and flexibility, which are essential for a successful trek. Regular exercise and healthy eating habits can also help prevent injuries, fatigue, and other physical ailments during the Walk.
- Psychological Preparation: Trekking in the mountains can be mentally challenging. Individuals may face unexpected obstacles, such as harsh weather conditions or difficult terrain. A wellness program can help individuals develop mental resilience, stress management skills, and positive coping mechanisms to deal with these challenges. It can also help them build self-confidence, motivation, and a positive mindset for the trek.
- Intellectual Preparation: Trekking in the mountains requires certain knowledge and skills. A wellness program can provide individuals with the necessary education and training on navigation, wilderness survival, and first aid. It can also help individuals develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills to handle unexpected situations during the trek.
- Relational Preparation: Trekking with 30 women can be a social challenge. A wellness program can help individuals develop social skills, empathy, and effective communication strategies to build strong relationships with their fellow trekkers. It can also help individuals understand and respect cultural and personal differences, which is essential for a successful group experience.
- Spiritual Preparation: Trekking in the mountains can be a spiritual experience for some individuals. A wellness program can help individuals connect with nature, find meaning and purpose in their trek, and develop a sense of gratitude and mindfulness. It can also help individuals develop spiritual practices and rituals that enhance their overall wellness and connection.
Completing a 12-week wellness program before a challenging trek can help individuals prepare physically, mentally, intellectually, socially, and spiritually for the adventure ahead. It can also help individuals build a strong sense of community and camaraderie with their fellow trekkers, enhancing their overall experience and sense of achievement.
However, don’t wait until you are twelve weeks out from the start date, begin training as soon as you sign up. You have access to the Walker portal and all the training videos to get you started. Before beginning any training program, please consult your doctor. WHW requires all participants provide a doctor’s clearance prior to embarking on the trip. You will find the form in this portal as well. Ask your doctor to complete the form and return it to us.
KNOW YOUR LEVEL and CREATE A PATH FORWARD
There are many ways to train, and you can adjust the training programs provided to fit your lifestyle and personal preference. Please reference the training handbook in the Walker’s Portal to determine your level.
Understanding how fit you are now is an excellent place to start. Knowledge is POWER in all aspects of along your Wellness Journey. This helps you create a vision and a concrete plan to move from where you are to where you’d like to be.